The first step is to complete a Paratransit application. This must be completed in person at the Rockford Paratransit office at 520 Mulberry Street.
Applicants will be reviewed within 21 days of receipt. Once reviewed, Rockford ParaTransit will notify applicant in writing of determination of eligibility. If, by 21 days following the submission of a completed application, Rockford ParaTransit has not made a determination of eligibility, the applicant shall be treated as eligible and will be provided service. If Rockford ParaTransit denies the application, the individual shall be given the opportunity to file an appeal.
To ride ParaTransit, you must be certified as eligible by Rockford ParaTransit. Examples of people who are eligible are those who, because of a disability, are “unable” to:
- board, ride or disembark from an accessible bus
- persons unable to use the system due to visual or mental impairments
- persons unable to reach boarding locations or situations due to a specific impairment related condition
Other considerations are
- age, distance to stop, or illiteracy by themselves are not considered disabilities
- people who are blind and visually-impaired may be eligible if they cannot use RMT’s regular fixed route system
- people with medical conditions such as epilepsy, kidney disorders, diabetes may be eligible depending on their ability to use RMTD’s regular fixed route system
Provisional ParaTransit Eligibility
The following individuals are ADA provisional ParaTransit eligible if they meet the following criteria for provisional eligibility:
- Winter weather conditions. Any person can apply for and be granted provisional Rockford ParaTransit eligibility, in the winter months from November 1 to April 1, as determined by Rockford ParaTransit, if the individual has specific mobility limitations or temperature sensitive. The latter condition would have to be verified by a health care professional.
- Persons hypersensitive to extreme heat or cold be granted provisional eligibility. Rockford ParaTransit users would need a physician’s certificate.
Temporary ParaTransit Eligibility
The following individuals are ADA temporary ParaTransit eligible if they meet the following criteria
- Any person can apply for and be granted temporary ParaTransit eligibility, if they meet the full ParaTransit eligibility criteria as listed above and are determined temporary ParaTransit Eligible by Rockford ParaTransit.